I have somehow wound up becoming that friend who makes wedding cakes (which I have mixed feelings about!), and am supposed to make a wedding cake for one of my best friends in two weeks. I am driving myself crazy with thinking through the following questions and would really love some help from more experienced and wiser bakers than me! Any opinions/suggestions/fun stories would be welcome.
1. The number of guests will be 110. The cake will not be the only dessert--delicious baklava will also be served. If I make a three-tier cake with 6x3, 10x3, and 14x3 tiers (split and filled), will this be enough for 110? It is hard to tell what size to make the cake as different bakers seem to use different metrics--Wilton says this would result in 128 servings, while Martha Stewart (from her 1980s-era "Weddings" book) says it would result in only about 60.
2. The bride&groom have requested an almond cake, which I am super psyched about. I had the following ideas for fillings for an almond butter cake with an amaretto buttercream:
1. A layer of almond pastry cream topped with fresh raspberries for the filling
2. A layer of lemon pastry cream or lemon curd spread on top of a layer of almond dacquoise
3. Split the cake twice, and do two fillings: one raspberry jam, one almond pastry cream
4. Something else?