Restaurants & Bars


Baking Emulsifiers?


Live your best food life.

Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts.
Sign Up For Free
Restaurants & Bars

Baking Emulsifiers?

sgordon | Mar 8, 2013 06:35 AM

Okay, this is a bit of a weird one... I'm looking for one of the chemical emulsifier commonly used in bread baking (helps keep breads shelf stable for longer periods) - there are two kinds of standard ones used, DATEM (Diacetyl Tartaric Esters of Monoglycerides) and Calcium or Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (commonly abbreviated CSL / SSL)

I've found them online here and there but only in MASSIVE bulk quantities meant for industrial production. Wondering if anyone knows of a bakery supply place in the city (any borough, pref. Manhattan or Brooklyn, though) that might carry them in smaller size, or even an online source that would sell in quantities of less than, like, a kilogram. Given that you only use .5% to weight of flour, even a cup of it would last a loooong time for home use.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound