Del Papa is one of Almaty's most popular Italian spot, and with good reason - great location downtown, cosy decor, efficient service, and very good cooking.
What we had this evening:
- Homestyle bruschetta mix, a selection of 4 types of bruschetta: tomato & red onion, chicken & arugula, Parma ham & tracchino, and marinated bell pepper.
- Salmon carpaccio with pesto and rose pepper. Delish.
- Beetroot salad with feta cheese and pine nuts: smallish helping of beetroot which was perhaps diced too finely. Insufficient amount of feta cheese, and the local pine nuts here were smallish and not toasted enough.
- Salmon fillet in creamy lemon sauce: the fillet was slightly over-cooked - should have been slightly pink at the centre, but the creamy sauce was rich and tasty.
- Lamb shank in vegetable sauce: a favourite among lamb-loving local Central diners. The melt-in-your-mouth lamb shank was smothered with an intense tomato-bell pepper-onion sauce, with a hint of oregano.
- Beef osso buco: done perfectly generous portion of slow-stewed beef, and fatty-rich marrow. I ordered roasted vegetables as a side.
Don't miss the mulled wine (red wine, orange, apple, spices and mint) which is available all year round here, not just around Christmas season. There is also a non-alcoholic version available.
Kabanbai Batyr Street 83
Tel: +7 727 341 0840
by Greg Stegeman | Barbecue sauce is a blanket term that doesn't necessarily do justice to all the regional styles of...
by Joey Skladany | As a self-proclaimed sauce connoisseur and fan of barbecue varieties specifically, I was more than...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.