Hot diggity - I FINALLY got a chance to try the (infamous?) Alcove in Los Feliz. Breakfast, no less - but on a leisurely Friday with a gorgeous pal-lie. We didn't eat gobs, but I have opinions (shocking!) on all that was consumed:
Place: Alcove, Friday, 6/23 - 10:30 AM
Myself + 1 guest (Miss Holly, journalist-extraordinaire)
Ambiance - B
Infeciously cute + cozy
Service - C-
It's counter service, and they were OK
Food (Presentation) - C
Food (Taste) - B
Fresh produce reigns supreme
Wine/Drinks - C
Great non-alchy selection, limited wine, OK coffee
Value - C+
Normal prices + portion sizes
Overall Experience - C+
To be fair, I've gotta try this place for lunch/dinner too.
1) 3 Eggs, Fruit, Toast - A standard dish, but the fruit was truly OUTstanding - fresh, juicy, heaps of it, and none of the cheap crap.
2) Egg White Omelette with Asparagus, Mushrooms, and Onions + Poatoes and Toast - Just a hair above average; certainly sizable and fresh, but nothin' special ala potatoes.
3) Chocolate Chip Cookie - *Sigh* Too sugary. Nice consistency, but no wow-ness.
4) Sugar Cookie - Shaped like a dalmatian (cute!) but, um, icky. No likee.
5) Oatmeal Cookie - Crazy soft, pretty damn yummy - the best of the bunch.
The coffee was so-so, the sodas are in cans (a bonus in my book).
Bill including tax (for 1 soda, 1 coffee, 2 breakfasts, and 3 cookies) - about $35
The ambiance of this joint was the huge factor - lounding outside with the pup was a total treat. Cool clientele - annoying parking. Overall, though, I liked it - as I mentioned, must return to try lunch/dinner goods.
1929 Hillhurst Ave.
Cross street: Franklin