This is a long post - I'm in DC and we're snowed in, so I'm dreaming of our impending vacation. They say that the anticipation of a vacation brings almost as much joy as the vacation itself.
I'm coming to San Francisco in June and there are so many things I want to eat! Unfortunately we'll only be there for three nights before heading elsewhere, so I'm trying to figure out my itinerary. We're looking to stay within San Francisco proper, but we're happy to go wherever within the city to get the best food. I figure we'll have to do a lot of walking so that we can maximize our eating! We're staying in Noe Valley (close to 24th & Church).
1. I've done some reading on the board, and I know I likely want the following, but am trying to narrow down the best places:
- Dim Sum - I feel like Yank Sing is the place that keeps coming up - is that where we should go? Needs to be open on a weekday... we're there Tuesday-Friday.
- Burritos - La Taqueria? Or elsewhere? And what do you get there?
- Oysters - Swan Oyster Depot? What else should we get there if we go?
- Cioppino - Sotto Mare? Scoma's?
- Ferry Building - What should we look for here?
2. I could use recommendations around the place we're staying (Noe Valley, 24th & Church), particularly for breakfast/coffee/pastries, late night food, ice cream/snacks, and bars (we mostly are into beer and cocktails). We arrive super late on Tuesday (around midnight), and it seems like El Farolito might be our best bet for food that night.
3. Tourism: Is Alcatraz worth a visit? What about the Exploratorium? We're all adults, and I'm unclear on whether these are mostly interesting for kids. Any other activities we shouldn't miss? I'm thinking SFMOMA (which should be open by then) and Golden Gate park, and otherwise just spending time wandering different neighborhoods, but am open to other suggestions.
4. Finally, here are some of the restaurants I was thinking about for dinners - we want to stick to the 'mid-range' - probably less than $100/person, including drinks. If you had to pick 1-2 from each list, where would you go? What would you definitely skip? Any can't miss dishes? Any restaurants that should really be on here?
State Bird Provisions
Flour + Water
La Ciccia (Sardinian)
Liholiho Yacht Club
Thanks for any help!