Following up on the SF Bay Nonstaurant list, now we’ve put together lists of some of the alternative dining options available in fellow nonstaurant strongholds New York City and Portland, Oregon. They’re not exhaustive, but they’ll give you a taste of what these great food-cart-centric cities have to offer.
If you want to delve further into the amazing street food culture of these cities check out some of these other links:
• Food Carts Portland, which has reviews of all the food carts in the city.
• Discussion of new and old nonstaurants on PortlandFood.org’s carts and trucks forum.
• Midtown Lunch, which has great info on NYC food carts, many of which congregate in Midtown to catch the office worker crowd.
• Two must-read NYC-basedChowhound threads on the best falafel carts and halal carts around the city.
• Lost Taco, a guide to the many taco trucks in the Jackson Heights neighborhood of Queens, home of many fine cart-dining options.