Artichoke hearts, either frozen or jarred and marinated, are a great convenience ingredient that adds a bit of panache with little effort. Here are some favorite uses for them.
Marinated artichoke hearts:
• Chop and use in grilled sandwiches or on pizza
• Toss seasoned chicken parts with artichokes and marinade and bake; top with toasted pine nuts
• Heat artichokes, halved cherry tomatoes, and olives in marinade and use to top grilled chicken breasts
Frozen artichoke hearts are best simmered in salted water for a few minutes, then patted dry if they won’t be otherwise cooked. Some ideas for using them:
• Chop, sauté, and use in a quiche, omelet, or frittata
• Bake with shrimp, tomato, and feta cheese
• Combine with mushrooms and lightly steamed vegetables and marinate in a vinaigrette
• Chop and add to pilafs and grain salads
• Simmer in water with onion and garlic, then purée for a simple, satisfying soup
• Toss with pasta and basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, and cooked chicken
bear makes lemon artichoke pesto by pulsing a couple of garlic cloves, a bit of lemon zest (a little goes a long way here), artichoke hearts, lemon juice to taste, and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a food processor. CHOW’s version includes ricotta and basil.