On Saturday October 18, the fourth annual Vendy Awards cook-off will determine NYC’s top street vendor. The event sounds like a good time, with all-you-can-eat “street meat” and “street sweets” and an open bar—plus it supports The Street Vendor Project of the Urban Justice Center, which sticks up for street vendors’ rights.
Here are the nominees who will face off:
• Rafael Soler from Soler Dominican
• Mohammed Rahman from Kwik Meal
• Fauzia Abdur-Rahman from Heavenly Delights
• Meru Sikder from Biriyani Cart
• The Vendley Brothers (Jesse, Brian, Dave) from Calexico Carne Asada
Tickets and more info are available here.
And if you are looking for recommendations (or want to share your own), Chowhounds seem to be especially passionate about their favorite street eats.