These easy apple dumplings are the ideal fall dessert and they only take five ingredients. Plus, they freeze beautifully.
Have you checked your Instagram feed as of late? If you have, you know everyone is out in the apple fields picking Galas, Winesaps, and Red Delicious to their heart’s content with multiple posts on social media of picking, eating, and of course, the apple pies that follow. Well, I like to bake, but I’m not the most skilled when it comes to crimping, the butter/flour ratio, lattice tops, and all that jazz. Many don’t realize, however, making a fantastic pie takes a significant amount of skill.
So, when I get home from the apple orchard and have seven bags of apples to get through, I need some fast and easy ways to enjoy the bounty.
From this need for speed and deliciousness, apple dumplings were born. What’s an apple dumpling, you ask? Let me explain.
The Beauty of Apple Dumplings
You may be picturing some sort of soup with floating apples, but nope, this is even easier than that. All you need is five ingredients and almost zero baking skills, and you can pull off this fun little dessert that freezes well, is ready in half an hour, and is the baked apple of your dreams—interested yet? Good, read on.
Related Reading: The Best Apples for Baking
Peel and core your favorite apples, make a little flour/sugar/cinnamon mix, and roll out a sheet of your favorite puff pastry. You can get fancy with Dufour or grab a package at Trader Joe’s.
J.K. Adams Dowel Rolling Pin, $22.42 on Amazon
A rolling pin is the only special equipment you need, and this style without handles is easier to maneuver onceyou get the hang of it.
After giving them a nice roll in the flour mix, wrap ’em up in the puff pastry and give them a quick blast in the freezer. The chill helps the puff pastry stay in place as the middle gets warm, soft, and gooey.
Better yet? Make a whole bunch ahead of time and take them out of the freezer as the dumpling craving erupts. After having this, you may just quit that lattice top for good.
Related Reading: This Spiced Walnut Apple Crisp Is Another Easy Autumn Stunner
Easy Apple Dumpling Recipe
The pat of butter inside each dumpling is optional, but highly recommended. The egg wash is optional too, but will give your dumplings a glossier shine.
Five Ingredient Apple Dumplings
- 6 apples of your choice, peeled and cored
- ½ cup AP flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 large sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and core the apples.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Roll each apple to cover with the mixture.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut into squares. Place one apple in the center of each square and add a tablespoon of the flour/sugar mixture to the center well. Top with a small pat of butter (optional). Pull up the sides of the pastry to cover the apple. Pinch at the top to seal closed.
- Brush with egg wash for a glossier finish (optional).
- Place apples in the freezer for fifteen minutes to chill the pastry. The time in the freezer will prevent the puff pastry from sliding down the apple. Also, they keep for up to two weeks, so keep them for an apple dumpling craving!
- Remove from the freezer and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, based on the size of the apple.
- To check if they are ready, slide a knife into the apple. It should be very soft and slip right out.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or both!
Dumpling images courtesy of Anna Gass