Regardless of whether or not your team is playing in the Super Bowl, football’s biggest day is still the perfect occasion for chowing down on your favorite snacks and kicking back with a delicious cocktail. While I won’t be rooting for my team (go Falcons!), I’ll still be standing by to watch the game (read: the Super Bowl halftime show). Believe me, I will certainly have a delicious drink in hand. Whether you’re a whiskey aficionado or a sucker for anything containing gin, we’ve created a couple original Super Bowl 2019 drinks inspired by the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots, and rounded up some mixologists’ creations too, to help get you to the end zone…no matter how your team is doing.
Los Angeles Rams-Inspired Blue Margarita
Try a slushy margarita with a true blue twist.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce agave nectar
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1 ounce blue curaçao
- salt for rimming glass
- lemon twist for garnish
- Combine tequila, lime juice, agave nectar, and ice in a blender. Blend on high until slushy.
- Rim a glass with salt, and pour in the blended mixture.
- Top with blue curaçao and stir.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and enjoy!
Los Angeles Rams Rocks Glasses, 2 for $29.99 at the CBS Sports Shop
Show your team colors—in more ways than one.
New England Patriots-Inspired Berry Beer Punch
A beer cocktail with red and blue berries to chug (or sip) while you cheer on the Pats.
- 1/2 ounce grenadine
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 12 ounces pilsner
- Build your cocktail right in the glass—just add each ingredient in the order listed above, and you can get down to drinking (and watching the game) ASAP.
New England Patriots Pint Glass, $15.99 at the CBS Sports Shop
Sip your drink in proper style.
This fruity concoction will have you more than ready to cheer on your team. Created by Claudia Sidoti, Head Chef at HelloFresh, the Thirst Down cocktail is super fresh and packs a fruity punch.
- 3 ½ ounces lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar syrup
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- Tonic water
- Combine all ingredients except tonic and ice into a jug and stir.
- Pour over ice.
- Top with tonic water.
Crystal Cocktail Mixing Glass Set, $39.95 on Amazon
For those times when you don't want to shake things up.
Get your game face on with this fresh, citrusy cocktail from Todd English’s Tuscany, which is located at the Mohegan Sun Resort in Connecticut.
- 1 1/2 ounces of blood orange gin
- Pink grapefruit juice (to taste)
- Lime juice (to taste)
- Grenadine (to taste)
- In a shaker, combine the ingredients with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a glass over fresh ice.
FINEDINE Expert Cocktail Shaker 14-Piece Home Bar Set, $24.99 on Amazon (originally $39.99)
This basic shaker set has everything you need to start a home bar.
The Spicy Underdog Margarita
Everyone loves an underdog, and there’s no better way to root them on than with this margarita created for game day by The 10th Restaurant at Vail Mountain.
- 1 1/2 ounces jalapeno-infused tequila
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar syrup
- 1/2 ounce water
- Lime wheel
- Jalapeno slice
- Cayenne pepper
- Infuse one liter of tequila with two large jalapenos for up to 5 days.
- Mix 1 part cayenne pepper, 1 part sugar, and 2 parts salt to create the fuego salt.
- Wet the rim of the glass and dip in the fuego salt.
- In a shaker, combine the ingredients with ice and shake well.
- Strain over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and a slice of jalapeno.
Bormioli Rocco 1.5-Liter Clear Glass Jar with Gasket Seal, $10.57 on Amazon
The perfect vessel for infusing booze, or other kitchen projects (like making kimchi or sauerkraut).
Let Rye-Gones be Rye-Gones
Well, someone has to lose—and if this cocktail is your consolation, you’re doing pretty well. Bob Peters, a mixologist at The Queen & Glass in Charlotte, North Carolina, shared the perfect drink for those moments when the game gets extra rough.
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing tin.
- Stir the ingredients.
- Strain the drink into a glass with a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a lemon rind.
The Classic Kitchen Chillz Blox Large Ice Cube Tray, 2 for $15.97 on Amazon
These silicone molds are great for making oversize ice blocks that chill your drink without diluting it.
Even though the Falcons aren’t playing this year, Atlanta is still hosting the big game and the city’s mixologists are more than ready. James Letendre, the beverage manager of The Optimist and JCT. Kitchen, is certain that the game will be a voyage worth remembering. He shared this drink, which is a favorite at JCT. Kitchen.
- 1 ounce tequila
- 3/4 ounce vermouth
- 1/2 ounce ginger liqueur
- 1/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/4 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted coriander tincture
- Pour the ingredients into mixing tin with ice.
- Shake and double strain into martini glass.
- Garnish with a lime twist for the perfect kick.
Zulay Metal Citrus Press, $13.99 on Amazon
A heavy-duty citrus squeezer makes getting every last bit of juice from your fruit a breeze.
The Double Lion
Letendre’s Double Lion is the perfect sweet treat to kick back with when your team is pulling ahead in the game. Served at The Optimist in Atlanta, this drink features Calvados, a delicious crème de cacao, and honey syrup–so you’ll be feeling sweet regardless of the game’s outcome.
- 1 ounce Calvados
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1/4 ounce vermouth
- 1/4 ounce white crème de cacao
- 1/4 ounce honey syrup
- Fresh tarragon to garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing tin with ice.
- Shake well.
- Double strain into footed rocks glass.
- Garnish with a tarragon leaf.
Rock Style Old Fashioned Whiskey Glasses, 6 for $18.69 on Amazon
If you have trouble finding footed rocks glasses, these work just as well.
Robe & Crown
Congratulations on the big win (or your thorough enjoyment of the halftime show)! Reward yourself with a robe and crown–in cocktail form, that is.
- 1 1/4 ounces dry gin
- 1 ounce apricot-infused dry vermouth
- 1/2 ounce pisco acholado
- 1/4 ounce brown sugar orgeat
- Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing tin.
- Stir and strain into a glass.
Schott Zwiesel Air Coupe Glasses,$18 - $108 at Sur La Table
These dishwasher-safe glasses manage to still be delicate, and can be purchased singly or in sets of six.
The Southern Belle
Since the Super Bowl is being hosted in Atlanta, there’s no better time to embrace your inner southern belle. This citrus-infused drink, created by Clarke Anderson, the beverage manager of Atlanta’s King + Duke and BeetleCat, features Earl Grey bitters for a truly unique, delicious cocktail.
- 1 ounce rum
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce pimento syrup
- 1 dropper Earl Grey bitters
- Belgian ale
- Lemon peel garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients except ale in a mixing tin with ice.
- Gently shake.
- Strain over ice into a beer mug.
- Top with Belgian ale.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.
18.21 Earl Grey Bitters, $29.98 on Amazon
These just happen to be hand-crafted in Atlanta, which is super appropriate!
When your team heads back into the second half, they’ll have some unfinished business to attend to. This drink from Marlow’s Tavern in Atlanta will help you cheer them on as they work for the win. The amounts are up to you (just think of it as the Alan Cumming style of bartending).
- Ginger liqueur
- Peach nectar
- Lemon juice
- Lavender bitters
- Combine all of the ingredients in a shaker.
- Pour over ice.
Scrappy's Lavender Bitters, $18.36 on Amazon
Handmade in Seattle, these lend a lovely fragrance to any drink.
If you’re looking for something a little more basic, check out our favorite beer and pizza pairings—or for something that bridges both worlds, try these Super Bowl beer cocktail recipes. (Super Bowl wine pairings are also a thing, in case you prefer vino!) Our Super Bowl headquarters is home to lots more delicious ideas, and the Chowhound community always has great Big Game plans too.
Don't Drink On An Empty Stomach...
Get something delicious delivered from Caviar so you can focus on mixing (and watching the game).
In honor of Super Bowl LIII, Chowhound is joining forces with CBS Sports, TV Guide, and CNET to give away a prize package including an LG OLED 65-inch TV (courtesy of Daily Steals), a 6.5 Liter Air Fryer, and $125 in gift cards for CBS All Access. Enter for your chance to win before 3:30 p.m PT on February 3, 2019!
Related Video: How to Make the Perfect Dip for Your Super Bowl Party
All featured products are curated independently by our editors. When you buy something through our retail links, we may receive a commission. For more great hand-picked products, check out the Chowhound Shop.
Header image by Chowhound.