Although tomatoes are usually prepared in savory dishes, they can also be turned into a luscious jam that holds its own against more traditional fruit jams. Enjoy on toast, or for a quick appetizer paired with cheese on crostini.
This recipe was featured as part of our Irish Breakfast for St. Patrick’s Day photo gallery.
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into medium dice
- 1 cup small-dice yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.
2Reduce heat to low and simmer so that just the center of the mixture is bubbling. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened (when you scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon, the line should hold and not run back into itself), about 2 1/2 hours.
3Remove from heat and season with additional pepper as desired. Let cool completely and refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 5 days.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved