Halibut Ceviche with Watermelon
Adapted from Food52
In this healthy halibut ceviche recipe adapted from Food52, the lime juice–cured fish is tossed with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, watermelon, and cilantro. We recommend pairing with an elegant cocktail such as our easy martini recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh fish, such as halibut, tilapia, or ahi
- Juice of 5 limes (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups diced ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 cups diced English cucumber
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
1Dice the fish into 3/4-inch cubes and place in a medium nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl. Add the lime juice, onion, jalapeño, and measured salt. Make sure the fish is covered with juice and refrigerate for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
2Meanwhile, in another bowl combine the tomato, cucumber, watermelon, cilantro, and oil. Add some salt and black pepper and toss to combine. Set aside until the fish is done.
3Add the cured fish to the cucumber mixture (feel free to hold back some of the lime juice if it seems too wet). Serve immediately, with chips or crackers for scooping.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved