by Soma Sengupta
Is it time to warm up? Snow everywhere, bitter winds, wet feet. Don’t go out! Make this awesome Shrimp Malai & stay in. This dish was made for weather like this. Its aromatic, complex, rich & if you want, spicy enough to warm you through.
As with almost all of my dishes, there are very few ingredients and its really quick & easy to prepare.
If you’ve never shopped at an Indian food store, this is your chance. There are tons in Jersey City or Jackson Heights that are easily accessible by subway. There are fruit & vegetables of amazing quality & price, as well as spices, lentils, Indian breads & snacks, etc. Fair warning: you might become addicted to these shops.
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- Five Cardamom pods
- Six Cloves
- Two or Three sticks of Cinnamon
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- 2 table spoon of ginger paste (puree ginger in a liquefier or blender, adding as little water by teasponfulls if necessary)
- Seven or Eight Green Chili
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Chili powder to taste (you can make it as hot or mild as you want, but this dish is better with some heat. I suggest you add at least 1 tsp. But if you cannot stand heat, you need not)
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 generous teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
1Heat oil in a sauté pan. The pan must be at least 3 inches deep.
2When oil is starting to smoke, add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and fry over medium heat, just until aromas are released. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Do not let the cardamom color.
3Add shrimp. Allow to fry for 2 or 3 minutes, then turn the shrimp over and fry for another 2 minutes.
4Add ginger paste, turmeric powder and chili powder and sauté for 1 minute. Then add the green chilis, followed by the coconut milk and about a tablespoon of water. Add the teaspoon of sugar and salt to taste.
5Boil hard for 4 to five minutes.
You’re done. Serve with basmati rice & enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved