Calling it the Perfect Cheeseburger is pretty bold, but we stand by it. Our burger is big, juicy, and seasoned right. Just a few rules to remember:
1. Gently pack the meat; if you overwork it, it can get dense and tough.
2. Meat shrinks when cooked, so form patties larger than the size of your buns.
3. Make a slight indentation in the middle of each patty to ensure that the burgers stay flat as they cook.
4. Never press down on the patties while they’re cooking. You want those juices in the burger, not on the grill.
5. Be generous with the salt and pepper.
See How to Caramelize Onions for an added kick to this perfect patty.
What to buy: Fat equals flavor and moisture, so buy high-quality chuck with a fat content of 15 to 20 percent.
This recipe was featured as part of our photo gallery of tailgating recipes.