Mulled Apple Cider
On a cold, blustery day, nothing warms you to the core like a nice hot cup of mulled cider. Black pepper adds an unexpected kick to this version. Bring a pitcher to your next festive fall gathering, paired with our fresh apple pie.
Game plan: If you prefer, you can remove the steeping ingredients before serving by pouring the cider through a fine-mesh strainer.
- 1 gallon apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 10 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 2 strips orange peel, about 2 inches long
- 6 dried allspice berries
- 4 heads star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- Orange twists, for garnish (optional)
1Combine all of the ingredients except the orange twists in a large pot.
2Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes before serving.
3Serve the cider in heatproof mugs garnished with an orange twist, if desired.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved