Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
Mexican style Chorizo
- 1/2 cup mixed varietal chile powders of your preference (ancho, guajillo, New Mexico, de arbol, paprika) or more to taste
- 1 pound finely ground lean pork
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 Tbsp vinegar (red, white, apple cider, pineapple)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
Due to the shameful state of commercially packaged ‘Mexican’ chorizo in the U.S., I usually make my own. I never include pork salivary glands or lymph nodes!
The chile mix depends on what you have available. The listed varieties are easy to get at Mexican markets or online from Penzeys. I include a lot of paprika for color, enough de arbol for heat, and the rest for the main flavor. The vinegar will partially mute the chile heat; after a few hours cook a little to check for balance.
1Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Recommended from Chowhound
Back to top
Every kitchen has some rules. Mine doesn't have too many but I admit to being a stickler for a few...