Mexican Meatloaf Rings
This is a fun way to make small individual meatloafs in less time but with a twist. I love meatloaf but am always looking for a new way to make it. This combines traditional meatloaf with a mexican flavor and is cooked in individual red, green, orange or yellow pepper rings, and topped with salsa and some pepper jack cheese. Served with a simple side of mexican mashed potatoes and a great salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette.
It may sound like a lot of ingredients but it is well worth it believe me! When I was growing up we had a garden and this is how the idea started. I was making stuffed peppers and a couple of my peppers were too small and had bad spots. So … I ended up cutting them in large rings and still was able to make my stuffed peppers and actually like them better. Well as years went on I always made my stuffed peppers that way and then I started making meatloaf the same way to save cooking time. Now I love trying to try new combinations and ideas and this is one of my favorites.
- 1 - 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 4 peppers: 1 yellow pepper, 1 red, 1 orange and 1 green, cut each pepper into 3 2" rings, approx. Use whatever color pepper you like best. You want approximately 8-9 rings.
- 2 pieces of bread soaked in milk, squeezed and broken up
- 1 medium onion diced (use pre-diced from the store if you are pressed for time)
- 2 celery stalks diced (use pre-diced from the store if you are pressed for time)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 extra large or 2 small eggs
- 1 chipolte diced 2 if you are daring
- 1/2 cup salsa for the topping I use mild
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese or slices of peppe rjack either or. Please use which ever you like best. I have used both and like both. Different flavors. I would probably use the pepperjack but equally good.
- Serve with my sauted black beans and romaine hearts with avacado and cilantro lime dressing
1First lets prepare the peppers. Cut the top and bottom of of each pepper and then cut the pepper into 3 rings, depending on the size. You want the rings to be about 2" thick.
NOTE: Try to pick out large nice round peppers this makes for a great ring to stuff your meatloaf mixture in. You can use red, yellow, orange or green whatever you like best.
2Now, the meatloaf. Add all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Do not over mix.
3Preheat the oven to 350. While the oven preheats … place the pepper rings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and stuff with the meatloaf mixture into each pepper ring. Mound up slightly.
4Top the meatloaf with salsa and then bake for 30-45 minutes. The last 5 minutes top with cheese and continue to cook until melted. Remove and let set just a minute or two before serving.
5I love to serve this my Mexican mashed potatoes and a salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette. Both I have posted as well.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved