Jerk Chicken Tacos
Jamaica, meet Mexico. Grilled, boneless jerk chicken, mango salsa, and shredded cabbage are the fillings for these big, bold modern tacos. The chicken needs to marinate for 24 hours, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time.
Game plan: Make a batch of Mango Salsa just before you’re ready to assemble.
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Shredded cabbage
- Fresh mango or pineapple salsa
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
1Combine all the marinade ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process to a puree, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed; it will be fairly thick. Put the chicken in a zippered plastic bag, add the marinade, turn to coat all over, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2Let the chicken come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Prepare a charcoal grill for medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grill grate. Alternatively, preheat a stovetop cast-iron grill pan and brush it with oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
3Shred or slice the chicken. To make tacos, stuff each tortilla with some of the meat and top with cabbage, salsa, and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges on the side.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved