11. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadai at medium heat. Fry the chili, cinnamon sticks and curry leaves for about 10 seconds each, one ingredient at a time. Set aside.
2. Add all the spices in the same oil, fry for about fifteen seconds or till seeds splatter, making sure they do not burn.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, fry for another minute or so, till well incorporated in the spice mixture.
4. Add the vegetables to the spice and tomato mixture and fry for 2 minutes, until tender.
5. Add the rice to the spice, tomato and vegetable mixture and fry for a minute, constantly mixing.
6. Add water, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until desired texture, stirring the pilau occasionally so it does not stick to the pan.
7. Serve the pilau hot, garnish with the fried chili, cinnamon and curry leaves.
A simple and supremely satisfying dessert, rice pudding is pure comfort in a bowl. It's easy to get there too! Just simmer white rice with whole milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt until the grains are tender, plump, and creamy, then stir in a little vanilla or almond extract while the pudding's still warm. Top however you like (fresh berries in season, dried fruit, toasted nuts for a crunchy contrast, a sprinkle of cinnamon, etc.) -- you really can't go wrong.
DIY Puffy Rice Snacks
Crispy, puffed rice is actually a type of culinary foam, but it doesn't take a lot of fancy equipment to make. In this episode of MDRN KTCHN, host Scott Heimendinger shows you how to make puffed rice snacks at home using only a microwave and some frying oil. Want to learn more? Come back every Sunday for a new episode of MDRN KTCHN, and check out Modernist Cuisine's new cookbook, Modernist Cuisine at Home!
Basic Steamed White Rice
Steamed white rice is so simple it's actually rather easy to mess up. Ever have it burn on the bottom, or had the grains go crunch between your teeth? This recipe will give you perfect, fluffy, tender rice every time, to go with all your stir fries, curries, and main-dish proteins.