Green Beans with Smoked Bacon
This recipe combines a Thanksgiving staple, green beans, with a smoky, slightly sweet bacon vinaigrette. It’s a real crowd-pleaser!
This dish was featured as part of our Classic Thanksgiving … Only Cheaper menu.
- 2 pounds green beans, stems removed
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
1Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water.
2Place the beans in the boiling water and cook until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place in the ice water bath to cool. Drain and set aside.
3In a large frying pan set over medium heat, cook the bacon until it starts to brown. Add the onion and cook until it caramelizes and turns golden.
4Add the reserved green beans, vinegar, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Mix in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved