Tomatoes Packed in Their Own Juices
Fresh Corn Fritters
Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
- 5 cups sweet white corn kernels (from about 7 to 8 medium cobs)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10-ounce container cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup small-dice red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
This simple salad of fresh tomatoes and sweet corn will breathe new life into your summer picnic or backyard barbecue. Pair it with grilled burgers, steaks, or our easy crab cake recipe for a simple weeknight meal.
Game plan: The salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead, though you may want to mix the basil in at the last minute so it doesn’t wilt or discolor.
This recipe was featured as part of our Picnic for the Fourth of July menu, as well as our Tomatoes! photo gallery.
1Prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn kernels and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and place in the ice water bath until cool, about 4 minutes.
2Combine the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl. While continuously whisking, add the oil in a steady stream until completely incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients and the cooled corn and toss until well coated. Serve.
Recommended from Chowhound
Back to top
Every kitchen has some rules. Mine doesn't have too many but I admit to being a stickler for a few...