Falafel Sandwich with Peppers, Onion, and Eggplant
In this delicious falafel sandwich, sautéed peppers and onion combine with eggplant and cucumber-yogurt sauce in pita bread.
Game plan: Make a batch of Classic Falafel before you begin. You’ll also need some Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce (plain yogurt will also do), or you could make a tahini-lemon dressing.
- 1 recipe Classic Falafel (link in intro)
- 3/4 cup Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce (link in intro) or plain yogurt
- 1 Japanese or Chinese eggplant, halved lengthwise, then cut into ½-inch slices
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- Thick pita bread, halved and toasted
1Prepare the falafel as directed. Prepare the yogurt sauce and refrigerate until ready to use.
2In a frying pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add the eggplant in a single layer and fry until golden, turning once, about 4 minutes. (You may need to do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding). Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt and pepper.
3Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
4Stuff the pita bread halves with falafel, eggplant, peppers, and onions. Top with the yogurt sauce (or plain yogurt) and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved