Curried Potato and Carrot Soup
Curry powder, coconut milk, chile flakes, and a touch of brown sugar lift this homey potato and carrot soup out of the ordinary. Use vegetable broth and this warming soup becomes vegan.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk, well shaken
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnishing
1In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and warm until hot. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, ginger, pepper flakes, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
2Add the potatoes, carrots, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt if necessary.
3Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with the basil.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved