The cooling crunch of cucumber tames the heat from Thai chile in this easy mignonette. While the name sounds fancy, it’s a simple mix of vinegar, sugar, salt, and a few seasonings that’s great for dunking steamed crab in or topping oysters on the half shell. For an even spicier kick, use habanero chile in place of the Thai chile.
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup small-dice English cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot (from about 1 medium shallot)
- 1 fresh Thai chile, stemmed and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium, nonreactive bowl and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Add the cucumber, shallot, chile, and pepper and stir to combine. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 1 day.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved