A beautiful dessert to serve on a buffet or at a formal dinner party. The slightly unconventional flavors of basil and coconut complement traditional white chocolate, almonds, cranberries, and whipped cream. This one truly sparkles.
11. Heat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 inch spring-form pan with cooking spray.
22. In large bowl, cream together the almond paste, butter, sugar, and egg whites until light and fluffy; beat in salt. Stir in 1 cup coconut. Gradually blend in flour.
33. Press dough into bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden; cool completely.
44. Melt the white chocolate chips. Stir in coconut crème, coconut flavor, almonds, and 2 cups cranberries. Spread mixture evenly in crust and top with reserved/remaining cranberries and coconut.
55. Chill until set, at least 30 minutes, before removing sides of pan.
66. Beat together the cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form; cover and chill until ready to serve.*
7Can store untopped/ungarnished Torte, covered in refrigerator or at cool room temperature.
87. Just before serving, muddle or chop together the basil and coarse sugar. Slice torte into 8 or 12 wedges. Top each with a dollop of the Whipped Cream and sprinkle with Basil Sparkles (the sugar-basil mixture).
An affogato is a traditional coffee-flavored dessert that typically looks like a scoop of creamy gelato topped off with a pour of hot espresso. A shot of liqueur is sometimes added as well to kick things up a notch (as we do in the recipe below).