Big-Time Barbecue Sauce
Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook
This is a very good all-purpose barbecue sauce that can be used for basting, glazing, and dipping.
See also our simple BBQ sauce recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups commercial chili sauce
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1Combine all the ingredients except the honey and brown sugar in a saucepan and very slowly bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add in the last two ingredients. Mix well, and mix again occasionally as it cools. Store in a covered glass or plastic container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved