Had to share: my husband invited about 45 coworkers over for a cocktail party last night, and my food was an amazing hit (though I'm not surprised). I was going on a middle eastern theme - my favorite cuisine, and easy to prepare in advance. Here's the menu:
- Circassian Chicken (in a walnut sauce) from Ayla Algar's Classical Turkish Cooking, served cold. I think people were afraid to try it, since it looked so unusual, but everyone who tasted it raved.
- Lamb kabobs, marinated in a pomegranite molasses marinade and grilled, served with a hummus sauce (NY Times recipe from summer '04)
- Shrimp in a garlic sauce, from Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Cooking
- Dolmades, with beef (couldn't find lamb) and rice (old newspaper recipe)
- Hummus, baba ganoush, and tzatziki (people didn't go for the latter, but the first two were popular)
- olives and cheeses
What is funny is that an article about me being included in a cookbook had been published in a local paper the same day! At least I could confirm my reputation.