In the Beef Noodle Thread, Melanie mentioned Tanspace's ideas for other quests. The Mrs. and I haven't exactly been on a specific water dumpling quest but we have been eating our fair share of water dumplings.
Generally speaking we like the chinese chive / shrimp type, and will also try regular pork kind and fish kind too. Here is what we have had, in order of preference. Note that this only lists water dumplings with homemade skins.
1) Shanghai Dumpling Shop (SF) pork dumpling. These are my favorite but the Mrs. says the filling is a little to fatty for her. I love these and love the homemade dough ... its just the right thickness. I love the just-right ginger/garlic taste of the filling. Their XLB is not so good though, I think their XLB is too heavy, and always looks deflated. Their XLB always tastes too oily and heavy to me. Note that SDS does not have shrimp and chive water dumpling.
2) Sun Wu Kong shrimp and chive (SF)
3) Cafe Yulong fish dumpling (Mountain View)
5) [tie] Taiwan Restaurant shrimp and chive (SF)
5) [tie] Go Go Cafe shrimp and chive (SF)
6) Old Shanghai shrimp and chive (SF)
Actually I'd eat 1-5 any day. 6 I'm not so fond of. Any other suggestions?