Hello, Pittsburgh hounds! My husband and I are visiting your city from Baltimore for the first time next week and could use some guidance on a few items. Quick rundown: we’re in our mid-30s and enjoy all types of food, especially Middle Eastern and good bar food, and are equally happy to drink beer, wine, or cocktails. I’m vegetarian but husband is not, so any places we visit will ideally have options for both of us – not looking for any veg-only places. Trying to stay fairly casual, partly for budget reasons but mostly because we’ll be casually dressed (husband has plantar fasciitis issues = sneakers); we also lean more toward laid-back places that don’t require shouting. Not a museum, but not a frat party either. We’re staying in the Mexican War Buildings neighborhood, and while we’ll have a car, we’d greatly prefer not to use it, so either walking distance or a short cab/Uber would be preferred.
Things we’re interested in based on our research thus far:
• The Strip District in general, including Pennsylvania Macaroni Co., Parma Sausage, Enrico Biscotti, S&D Polish Deli, Maggie’s Farm Rum, Wigle Whiskey, Lucy’s (pending availability), and the public market
• Either the Biergarten or Commoner at the Hotel Monaco
• The Park House
• Sienna Mercato
• Church Brew Works (maybe a little far away?)
Would appreciate feedback if I’m on the right track with the above, plus suggestions for:
• Neighborhood spots in the Mexican War Buildings area, either bar, takeout, or restaurant proper
• Somewhere to get sandwiches to take into PNC Park – I’m sure there are plenty of places, but anywhere with a creative veggie option or two would be great, not just a pile of cheese, lettuce, and tomato
• Craft beer bars with good food
• Good happy hours to make a mini meal out of
• Outstanding doughnuts
• Anywhere else in the Strip District not to miss
• Are there any farmers markets in the area that’ll be open Tuesday-Friday?
Thanks very much for your help, really looking forward to our trip!