We live in Paris & Berlin and just had a wonderful week of Asian dining in Vancouver over the new year, thanks to recommendations we found by reading this board and for which we are really extremeley grateful. The best finds were :
- Alvin Garden, with extraordinary yet unpretentious spicy Hunan fare, exceedingly enjoyable despite the drab decor and the suburban location.
- Guu with Garlic : wow! The Ton toro (pork cheek), Tukemono (assorted pickles) & Tako-Wasabi (marinated octopus) were especially delightful. We have lots of "izakaya" restaurants in Paris, but this one is really on its own. On the other hand, the original Guu in Thurlow Street we found slightly disappointing.
- Hokkaido Ramen Santouka, on Robson Street, next to Guu with Garlic: extraordinary sesame & chili noodle soup.
Nice though not exceptional were :
- Maenam (elegant Thai in Kitsilano with wonderful wines, notably the Dirty Laundry Gewurtzraminer) though I cook a better jungle curry, I think
- Imperial Chinese Restaurant for convenient downtown dim sums : we ate there three times.
Unfortunately, we could not get into Phnom Penh in Chinatown despite coming early and Thai Basil was closed for the holidays.
We were not enthused by the two Italian restaurants we tried : Villa del Lupo in Hamilton Street (nice but did not really leave a lasting impression) and Il Nido in Thurlow Street (good ham & ok pasta but rancid olive oil and moldy tasting pickles).
Also, we attempted a local fare place called The Twisted Fork: no kudos to the gentleman who recommended that one, that really was the low point of the stay...
Villa Del Lupo Restaurant Ltd
869 Hamilton Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 2R7, CA
838 Thurlow St, Vancouver, BC V6E1W2, CA
1938 W. 4th Ave, Vancouver, BC V6J 1M5, CA
Imperial Chinese Restaurant
355 Burrard, Vancouver, BC V6C2G6, CA
4850 Imperial St, Burnaby, BC V5J, CA
Cafe il Nido
780 Thurlow Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 1V8, CA
Kitanoya Guu With Garlic
1698 Robson St, Vancouver, BC V6G1C7, CA
1147 Granville St, Vancouver, BC V6Z1M1, CA
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka
1690 Robson St, Vancouver, BC , CA