Does anyone have experience buying a turkey from the live poultry places in Queens?
I'm thinking that the freshness can't be beat, but one is unsure about the background of the birds. I called the one closest to my house, Bismillah on 55th St near 37th Ave, and they quoted me $2/lb.
Can you answer some of these questions for me, so I know whether live poultry is the way to go?
1) How's the general quality? Does the freshness really play a factor in the taste? These places are generally Halal, but does that also mean that the birds would have had a better upbringing than the average supermarket bird?
2) For this year, it will be between the live poultry place turkey, or one from the local butcher at $2.29/lb for a Jaindl or Plainview turkey (supposedly "free range"). If you've had experience with these birds, which would you recommend?
3) I am planning to brine the bird for 1-2 days. A fresh slaughtered turkey will be ~14 pounds of warmth. How does this factor in for food safety? How long would it take to chill such a bird to less than 40 degrees F?
4) I am assuming that I will be paying based on the bird's alive weight. How much of a difference is there between the living bird and one that has been dressed properly for roasting?
5) Are there any unforeseen problems with this route?