Trader Joe's Santa Maria Tri Tip = my fave steak
Great flavor. Less fat than Rib Eye my second fave.
Delicious leftovers warmed to room temp or barely warm in salads.
What I do:
- Buy the Trader Joe's pre-marinated Santa Maria tri tip. Trader Joe's seasoning is perfect. Saves a ton of time and 1 big procedural step (marinading).
- Remove from packing bag. Trim most of the silver skin. There was hardly any on this one. This makes me happy because I dislike trimming silver skin.
- Put in a ZipLoc bag from a box clearly labeled to have no BPAs. (? right name?)
- Sous vide @ 133.5 degrees F for 9 hours. I do not add anything - no seasoning, no oil, before it goes into the hot tub.
- After 8-9 hours, remove from Sous Vide. Dry with paper towel. Season the surface. Oil with Avocado Oil. (I use that because of it's high smoke point)
- Cast iron sear in very hot pan, 30 seconds per side.
Perfect pink inside. Great sear.
This is not mine but it's another from Trader Joes and looks great too.
SO tender. SO delicious.
Invite a friend to chime in on this discussion.Email a Friend
by Arturo Rojas | A great Cubano depends on great pork, and this Cuban pork recipe is just as perfect on its own as...
by Jen Wheeler | There is absolutely nothing wrong with hummus, guacamole, or even a good store-bought dip (looking...
by Chowhound Editors | Make-ahead Labor Day recipes ensure that you get to enjoy the party along with everyone else—and that...
by Jody Eddy | Labor Day is the holiday that brings the long hot days of summer to a close. Say farewell to the season...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.