My parents live in Queens, where I grew up, but my husband & I have been living in the Midwest for the last 17 years. We'll be visiting my parents the week between Christmas & New Year's. We've been doing this for several years now.
We enjoy day trips into Manhattan, exploring different neighborhoods. Here's where YOU guys come in. We need recs for "different" lunch spots. We can get plenty of the following at home, so we're NOT looking for Steak/burgers, Mexican, Italian, Vietnamese,or Lebanese. "Chinese" is another broad category we can do without (although we LOVE dim sum---went, and enjoyed, Ping and Jing Fong last year). We'd like to try some cuisines not available at home. Possibilities include, but are not limited to, Persian, Ukranian, Morroccan, Spanish, Indian, etc. Seafood would also be good.
A little more info to help narrow things down:
1. We're willing to try anywhere in Manhattan---as long as we can get there by subway or bus (willing to walk a few blocks, too)
2. We enjoy spicy food.
3. Tasty food is MUCH more important than atmosphere.
4. We're not interested in alcoholic drinks.
5. Prices aren't a big factor, but we like the places to offer a good value.
6. "Bonus points" if there is interesting shopping/sight-seeing nearby!