In the spirit of last week's "Top 5 Tourist Traps," I'd like to see what people think about the "Top 5 New Yorker Traps;" that is, restaurants that New Yorkers who are "in the know" seem to be always raving about but are actually mediocre-to-terrible.
Here's my list:
1. Carmine's (what does it have that Olive Garden (blech!) doesn't?)
2. Tabla (overpriced "fusion" in the main dining room, and mediocre indian in the bread bar)
3. Congee Village (some of the lousiest congee in Chinatown)
4. Arthur Avenue Italian in the Bronx (better than Manhattan Little Italy, but who actually likes that nauseating red sauce?)
5. Magnolia Bakery (What's so impressive about "down-home" overly sweet-and-buttery cupcakes anyway?)