Hiya SF 'hounds! Popping in for a whirlwind visit that will be stressful and mostly beyond my control. For the couple of days within my control, I'm trying to keep it very relaxed.
1. Have you any recommendations for low-key, casual places with solid chow that are:
A. readily walkable from the SF Zoo (I've seen this thread http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/434885 and have been to several of the places mentioned, including John's Ocean Beach Cafe and Bull's Head Too. Also, some deli on Sloat--George's or something like that?-- a block or two from the zoo. Thought they were all okay, not spectacular. They will do again in a pinch, unless you know of better places. Ideas? ).
B. In the outer sunset, walkable from the L Taraval?
2. Absolutely must get my dim sum fix in on this trip, so, I'm seeking a casual dim sum place in the City itself, open on weekdays, preferably no carts. We liked the atmosphere of Louie's 2-3 years ago. Food as good or better than that would be terrific. I'd be willing to drive across town for it, but access by public transit would be fantastic.
3. Also, are the tarts at Golden Gate Bakery still worth going out of your way for? I know there was some angst that it had been closed for awhile but I lost track of how that sorted out.
4. I also must get my burrito fix in on this trip, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the Mission. I'd be willing to hop in the car and sneak away for it. Any decent burritos in the Sunset these days?
5. I was thinking PPQ for the garlic noodles and crab OR R&G Lounge for the S&P baked crab. Are either of those a good choice these days?
Thank you muchly. P.S. I'm so sad I wasn't able to time my visit so I could do my share of "Chowing with the 'Hounds." Maybe in 2009. ;-).
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 11 months ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 21
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 10