I am putting together an itinerary for my Dream Trip to Paris for two weeks + in June. Thanks for all your existing posts, and for replying to my previous ones as I put my toe in the water....
Some specific questions, before I put the whole list out for help in fine tuning...
- œufmayonaise - can someone describe this dish, and name a place that does it well?
- oysters - should I avoid oysters in June, or should I seek them, since I have never had Cancale, or Gillardeau oysters?
- steak tartare - I'm going crazy with this....I need one, a great one, in this trip. I have the board recs (for reasons my own, I am passing on Chez Dumonet and Chez Denise this trip) and keep coming back to Les Fines Gueules. Their location, emphasis on Desnoyer, and acceptability of getting just the tartare and glass of wine for lunch, attracts me, but certain unmentionable experiences and the mention of pesto detract. Can someone describe LFG's tartare? I love good beef, I don't think worcestershire or ketchup are needed, I like good mustard and cornichons in moderation - and I can see how pesto may or may not enhance the dish, but .... is it mixed in? On the side? Strong? Mellow?
- Le Baron Rouge - I love everything I read about this place, except them giving David Lebovitz some ribbing. I will be alone, a middle aged American woman (with panache, mind you!), but I wonder if this might make me uncomfortable... if my hubby was with me I wouldn't give it a second thought, but alone... I don't have even passable French, just a willingness to try.
- Le Quincy - another place where what I read is enthralling, but I'm not sure I would like to have a big "to-do" by myself (much prefer the MFK Fisher approach to solo dining), and the only other thing in the area calling my name is LBR. So, should I do LBR for early lunch, walk around the 12th and do LQ for dinner, or might I let these go until the next time....whenever that may be?
- CONFUSED about the Marche D'Aligre. Is it also referred to as Beauvau? Are they two different markets, at the same place?
Thanks hounds - I'm the kind of traveler and eater that does a lot of pre-planning, both for destination places and to make sure that I avoid mediocrity and worse. Looking forward to responses, and SO excited for my trip.