Had a wonderful meal this past Saturday at Sisi on Main in Thornbury, just west of Collingwood.
My top 5 reasons for liking this place, in no order:
1. They are a stylish upscale bistro with an interesting wine list, and a focus on variety and quality (my favourite kind of place).
2. They have an interesting kids' menu (sesame crusted chicken strips with frites that my 2-year-old lad pronounced to have been "delicious!")
3. They have liver on the menu. Always a good sign. When you order the liver, they ask how you would like it cooked: Another good sign. My general rule is that if a restaurant has the cojones to put something like liver on the menu, you know that it must be splendid, and more generally, it is usually a mark of a righteously confident kitchen. I tasted from my friend's plate, and it was indeed superb.
4. You can get cookies. Specifically, one of the dessert items is "Biscotti - $1.50". EVERY restaurant should have a simple, inexpensive dessert option for those who want a sweet finish to the meal, but who don't want to pig out on the excellent caramel creme brulee (as, well, I did!).
5. The service was flawless, from the martinis shaken tableside, to the owner who took the time to chat with the aforementioned 2-year-old.
My starter was a baby green salad with gorgonzola and pecans, and the main was seafood linguine, abundant with mussels, big shrimp, and tender just-seared scallops. Another big hit at the table were crunchy-but-moist crab cakes.
All-in-all, a memorable, wonderful evening.