We're headed to Austin tomorrow for a visit that will begin late Thursday afternoon to late Saturday afternoon this week. Wish we had more time, but blame Virgin America's coupon blackout days! We want BBQ, as much Tex-Mex as humanly possible (sorry, SF Tex-Mex is terrible), breakfast tacos and migas, and looking for good donuts and good pie. Anything fine dining and super high-end is not in the budget.
I'm a professor who teaches American food history (among other US history classes) so I want historic, classic Austin along with delicious anything.
Our priorities include spending most of the morning and then lunch at Franklin BBQ on Friday and the Filipino pulutan/bar menu at Paul Qui's restaurant either Thursday or Friday nights. We have a rental car but are staying north of the city in Cedar Park. Yes, I know it's far, but I used hotel points. More money for food.
Here's what I've got so far from my research. Please feel free to make suggestions.
Thursday, arrive around 5pm.
- Should we do First Thursdays on Congress Street? Where should we eat?
- Would the bar at Qui be less crowded tonight or should we go Friday?
- Joe's Bakery very early for bkfst tacos
- Franklin BBQ for morning and lunch. What time should we line up? 8:30am?
- need dinner spot for tonight.
- Open for suggestions for another breakfast taco place with good migas.
- I need to spend a few hours at the LBJ museum today but otherwise would love to eat more Tex-Mex and anything classic (or classic modern) Austin for a late lunch.
- Need to be at airport by 3:30pm.
Thanks in advance!