Was at Viko's for the first time this weekend. Liked it so much on Saturday night, we came back for brunch on Sunday! Some observations:
Saturday night: the place was full, lively, animated. Did not wait long for a table.
1. Grilled Skirt Steak with Carmelized Garlic: perhaps the juiciest, most flavorful steak I've had. The grilled corn on the cob was both sweet and smoky, done to perfection.
2. Burrito Negro: my boyfriend had this. He enjoyed it thoroughly, relishing in the delectable pieces of slow-roasted chicken. Served with guacamole chutney, salsa, and crema fresca.
3. For dessert- Tres Leches and Raisin Bread Pudding: the tres leches was so good, not too overwhelming. The strawberries and peaches inside the slice were a nice touch. But I'd have to say the raisin bread pudding was out of this world. Served with a fruit salsa and a vanilla-flavored evaporated milk sauce. Reminiscent of french toast, yet blissfully tropical.
Had this meal with a bottle of Yellow Tail Merlot, bought from the liquor store about half a block towards Roosevelt Ave. If you want the lady behind the bullet proof glass to hear you, you need to yell a bit. She's a sweetheart, though, and very helpful.
Sunday afternoon: the place was virtually empty, to my surprise.
1. Braised Lamb: this is unbelievably delicious. Meat so tender, so transcendent, falling off the bone. Served atop a cloud of mushroom mashed potatoes. Can't stop singing its praises.
2. Tacos Enchiladas: 2 pork tacos with a side of mixed green salad. Delicous and fresh. The salad was tossed with this citrusy dressing, and I'm racking my brains trying to recreate it at home.
3. Burrito Verde: fresh seasoned vegetables, cheese, and rice in a green tortilla. My boyfriend thought it was good but liked the Burrito Negro better.
Given the location (a trek for some), and the fact that this place may not be crowded on weeknights, I really hope this place stays afloat. That's why I'm doing my part, 'spreading the Gospel according to Viko' if you will. If you are looking for a unique and contemporary slant to Mexican fare at a good value, DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE.