Thanks to the Chowhounders here, especially Toodie Jane, we repeated what is now a beloved day trip from Santa Barbara, which could be initiated from any point in the south coast with similar results.
1. Leave Santa Barbara and have some early morning Danish pastry snacks in Solvang.
2. Tour the flower fields of Lompoc, go out to Surf and hit La Simpatia in Guadalupe for chile rellenos around noon.
3. Head out to See Canyon for apples (The Jonalicious are great now) and take that sky high back road past Gopher Glen Apple Farm back to Los Osos Road and Highway 101 South.
4. Hit Mo's in Pismo Beach for their 1/4 slab of Philthy Phil's pork ribs with the cole slaw, cornbread and beans. Pack up the left-overs for tomorrow's dinner.
5. Pick up some fresh coffee-flavored salt water taffy down the street at Hot Licks, the place with the bugs in the candy suckers (intentionally)
6. Make sure one of you is not over-stuffed and sleepy to make the drive back home.
7. Call this the Toodie Tour of the Platinum Coast