Good morning. I'm visiting San Diego with a group of college friends this weekend. This is a trip we do every November to a new city. We have a tradition of going out for Thai food, which is sometimes exciting (try finding good vegan Thai in New Orleans).
In San Diego, it looks like the problem is a wealth of good options. So I'm hoping to get some advice from experienced diners. Our big constraint is handling a group of 10 on a Friday. Another constraint is that our group contains vegans and vegetarians. Budget wise we are pretty flexible, but looking for good food and good value more than upscale. I'm thinking $20-30 a person before drinks. We are staying at hotels in the Gaslamp district, but should have cars and don't really mind traveling for good food.
On the theory that the best way to start a discussion on the Internet is to post some wrong answers, here are some restaurants that have been spoken highly of in other posts. I'm not sure which of these are still liked, and which would be able to handle a group of 10.
* Celadon - Has gone downhill some say. In Hillcrest.
* Rama Thai - New restaurant by Celadon person
* Royal Thai
* Amarin Thai - Maybe too small for our group
* Golden Dragon - Also in Hillcrest. Not upscale, but chowhound likes it.
* Taste of Thai (via del la valle Del Mar)
* Siam Basil in Encinitas (Hwy 101) near Encinitas Blvd.
* Spice and Rice Thai Kitchen
* Lotus Thai (gaslamp, not bistro, I don't think we can go as far as Carlsbad)
Thanks for any insight you can give.
Updated 1 month ago | 13
Updated 5 days ago | 26
Updated 1 month ago | 85
Updated 13 days ago | 76
Updated 21 days ago | 27