went to Rice a few times when they opened several years ago, thought it was pretty good, not great. but thanks to cool tip I found here a while back that pointed me to the great menu/delivery info website called www.menupages.com, I've "re-discovered" Rice as an excellent delivery source!
I work long hours and often look forward to getting a nice meal delivered at night, good delivery places make me happy. Here's what makes Rice work:
- They have a computer they enter your home info into. so when you call they just ask your phone number and the rest of your info (name, address and stuff) is ready to go.
- $10 minimum (steep minimums have been knocking places off our list lately)
- Wide delivery area - 6th Ave to 1st Ave, 8th St to Canal St
- Fast delivery and good packaging, doesn't get sloppy in transit. They always includes the right condiments, chopsticks, and complimentary ginger candy.
On the food tip, our favorites:
- Thai black rice with edamame is excellent, very tasty, deep purple color, slightly chewy, and loaded with edamame. We usually get this with their vegetarian meatballs with spicy chili sauce. The tofu meatballs are very tasty and with a nice tender texture. $4.50 with special rice.
- The Jerk chicken wings are always well done and fall-apart tender. Spicy but not too spicy, we like to get these on their excellent special "rice and peas" (red beans on coconut rice). $5 with special rice.
- Another favorite is their Indian chicken curry - with yogurt, raisins and bananas, over basmati or sticky rice is very tasty. $5
- Their rice crispy treats with cranberries are great - 3 nice sized cakes in a cute package for $2.50 is a steal.
The small portions are a bit, well, small. but we prefer over the large because 3 of them will fill 2 people, and you can try more. and at around $15 for 2 people it's almost cheap.
They also deliver Pacifico beer ( at $4 a bottle - it's a bit expensive but can be a life saver when ya need it ;-)