My one-year anniversary is coming up and I'd like to take my spouse out to dinner in Manhattan. I've been looking at the top restaurants in "that little red book we all know" but am not sure how to narrow down the list because their descriptions aren't too telling. My only requirements are:
1) Top-notch food and service (price is not an issue, at least for this one night!)
2) Romantic (or at least not extremely noisy!)
3) Servers won't be offended by specific food questions (I cannot eat any nuts or seeds); I know some restaurants that are upscale get upset when you ask them to leave things off your plate, but I would get really sick from any/all nuts and seeds).
4) No sushi (sadly, not my spouse's favorite cuisine), so Per Se is a no-go.
5) Not Daniel (LOVE IT - but we've been there out of the top 'typical' places and I want to try something new)
Any suggestions from the usual suspects of excellent choices and why?
Thanks so much!