Last month, when I was planning a Mother's Day event, my Mom asked me to postpone it to avoid horrid food/service on the special day... it has now evolved to include a grad celebration (for me). Rather than a traditional sit down fancy meal someplace, I'm trying to plan an all day chow crawl trip through SF for this weekend. And of course, I wouldn't put anything on the list until I've checked here on the boards... so far here is my plan based on info gleaned from this site (any suggestions/opinions greatly appreciated):
AM: Ferry Plaza (1st time visit)
1. Fatted Calf - for pate, as well as anything that strikes our fancy
2. Cowgirl Creamery - whatever looks good
3. Acme bread - for stuff to go with what we buy @ Fatted Calf & Cowgirl Creamery
4. Picnic a bit
5. Tsar Nicoulai - for caviar tasting
6. Recchiuti or Scharffen Berger - for Mom's fave, dark chocolate (which place is better?)
Lunch: Katia's Tea Room
- I've noticed the borscht, blini, stuffed cabbage, vareniki, and stroganoff have been mentioned in various postings
PM: Russian bakery/deli crawl along Geary
- visits may include Gastronom, Moscow & Tbilisi, European Foods, Cinderella, etc...
as we will be relying on public transit (don't want to move and park the car a dozen times during the day) and we've never visited these places before, are these spots within walking/MUNI distance of each other and are there other recs for the area?
Dinner: possibly Lahore Karahi or someplace close to Civic Center, as I'm thinking we can then catch the free showing of Madame Butterfly being broadcast...
Thanks in advance for everyone's input! And I definitely will have a nice long report to post after.
Updated 8 months ago | 5
Updated 1 month ago | 15
Updated 14 days ago | 20
Updated 1 month ago | 14
Updated 28 days ago | 254