A question about mould - good or bad? Reblochon pink interior mould.


Cheese 6

A question about mould - good or bad? Reblochon pink interior mould.

cichlisuite | Feb 23, 2014 07:40 AM

I really regret not taking a photo as it would make all of this so much more simple.

I bought a Reblochon recently, a half round and it looked alright. It was clearly pretty ripe with a definite orange/pink color in the rind. When I cut a first wedge out of it, though there was a strong colour change on a triangular portion that extended from the top corner down to a half inch in along the base of the round (does that make sense? essentially it was the outside bottom corner of the round). The rest of the interior was the soft yellow that you see in any pic if you google it. That triangle along the outer edge, though, was a very distinct pink. It also smelled highly of ammonia (I know that's common with ripe soft cheeses and not necessarily a bad thing but the rest of the cheese didn't have any of that smell, just the pink bit).

So I returned it to the store and they said, "Oh yes, it's very ripe. It's still edible but someone should have warned you that it was very strong". They were happy to refund my money but their suggestion that it was still fine to eat left me wondering.

So my question: is that sort of mould development (pink mould in the interior) on a Reblochon considered acceptable/good/normal maturation or would it be considered flawed/past its prime/bad? Would it be normal to sell it at that stage?

Obviously I know that mould is an integral part of cheese making and not all mould is bad. There are no images online of that sort of thing that I could find, which I confess made me think it was probably flawed rather than merely very ripe (there's no shortage of ripe camembert oozing). I wish I had a French cheese expert to hand to explain.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound