A while back, around Father's day, I had a dinner at Brilliant that was so surprisingly bad. I have not returned since!
After talking to a few foodie friends who ensured me that was just an isolated incidence and that the meals they had recently, both lunch and dinner, were still pretty decent, I decided to pay Brilliant a return visit tonight.
To go with our BYOB German Riesling, our party of six had a Chinese antipasti platter of cold cuts and roasted meat to start off with. These was followed by:
- Complimentary soup of the day.
- Peking Duck two ways
- Braised mutton hot-pot with winter bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and Chinese mushrooms.
- Pan fried crispy jumbo diver scallops with premium top soya sauce.
- Fried jumbo west coast oysters with honey glaze.
- Complimentary dessert of red beans and tangarine skin soup.
All these food comes to only $122 inclusive of tax!!! A great deal!!
As for the food, every dish was nicely executed with the stand out being the 2nd Peking Duck course. The lettuce wrap with stirred fry diced duck meat, assorted vegetables and fried vermicelli has loads of 'wok-hay' essence and utterly delicious. Rest of our party also raved about the mutton hot-pot and the oysters. However, IMO, Emperor's rendition of the the same oyster dish is still the best in town!
BTW, the service was very attentive and friendly! The waitresses attended to our every need and requests with virtually no time lapse! A rarity in Chinese restaurants.these days!