These are what I am looking at for a basic collection as i do not want to be overwhelmed. What do you think?
1. Joy of Cooking - I am seraching for editions from '62 '63 '64 or '75
2. The Way to Cook - Child
3. Essentials of Italian Cooking - Hazan
4. La Varenne Practique - Wilian
5. Here for the Food/ More Food/ Gear- Brown
6. On Food and Cooking - McGee
7. Secrets of Baking - ?
Magazines will allow me opportunity to experiment with techniques learned from these and to develop intuition about flavor, taste texture combos. Also using sites such as eG and chowhound for support.