Hello everyone, new member here, so noob food alert!
My g/f and I are going to Tokyo on 24th May for a week and I would really, truly appreciate some recommendations for places to eat. I guess it is true to say that in some ways (many ways perhaps!) we are Japanese food novices. I have had some of the usual Ramen, sushi etc....but these are from pretty generic (though fairly tasty) places like Wagamamas in the west. We are both looking to get a taste of the real Japan, in comfortable, not overly pretentious places with great food!
I will list a couple of details about ourselves and our trip to narrow down any expert advice you all can give.
1. We are not going to be loaded with cash; I myself am a full-time University student so it can't be 3 Michelin star places every night. Far from it. Though one or two splurge lunches could be tolerated financially, we have been saving up. If we go to a place with a couple of Michelin stars I think we would both prefer either French or traditional Japanese. Anywhere in the central wards (central Tokyo) can be possible.
2. We are staying at shinagawa prince hotel, in Minato-Ku. For the first day we will probably stay around this area (jet-lag etc). Any reasonable priced informal eats around here for lunch/dinner? Japanese? By reasonable I am talking (per head) £30/$45 dinner, £15-£20/$30-$22 lunch.
3. Usual prices for dinner and lunches in general would be preferred to be not over the above mentioned prices (minus 1 or 2 splurges like I mentioned).
4. A couple of all you can eat lunch buffet places would be appreciated, as backups if we spend a little too much! Japanese food preferred. Soba...Tempura, Yakitori etc
5. We would like to try a good few izakayas, nice beer, great food, relaxed atmosphere, what’s better?
6. We are there 7 days, we will probably roughly do something like a day each in, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ginza, Arakawa, Ueno, Odaiba, Roppongi.
7. Where is a reasonable priced place to get a drink which has a great view of the city at night? I have heard of the New York Bar etc but that seems way too expensive.
8. Anyone know of reasonable places to get a kobe steak? Teppanyakis? In the districts mentioned above?
9. What local beers are recommended? Pretty cheap but good!
10. We would like to try at least one of all of the following 'genres' whether lunch or dinner, Soba, Raman, Yakitoro, Shabu-Shabu,Tempura, Sushi and Sashimi, Udon etc. Basically Japanese!
I am sorry for some of the vague area stipulations, we have 7 days, so pretty much anywhere in central Tokyo is possible! Oh also many thanks in advance. I really hope you guys and gals can help us!