We are going to Naples August this year, mainly to see Pompeii before it deteriorates further. After 5 days in Naples (of which day 1 will just be arrival, check in, having dinner, so basically 4 days to fill) we'll take the train for Rome, where we plan to spend a whole week.
We will be on a budget of about €100-€150 per day. This does not include hotels and flights, as they are already booked, but it should cover transport, entry fees, lunch and dinner. I think if we go to mostly 'sensible' restaurants most we should be able to afford one splurge in each city.
I think we have enough ideas for food in Napels itself (Sorbillo, Starita a Mater Dei, Di Matteo or Da Michele for pizza, Donna Teresa and Hosteria Toledo for local fare, maybe La Chitarra) which I think all fall in the 'reasonable price' category, but maybe you can help me with the following:
(One rule: no shellfish as I'm allergic. I shy away from fish-only restaurants as I've had too many bad experiences in being served shellfish despite allerting to my allergies)
- a lunch near either Pompeii or Herculaneum, preferably something non-touristy or at least not a rip-off
- Somewhere nice with a view, maybe by the waterside or on f.i. Vomero hill. Or maybe there are nice rooftop restaurants in Napels?
- tips on where to get good gelato in Napels, I have looked but have not found any yet.
- a lunch near Pozzuoli, as we'd like to see the Solfatara there.
- I've been advised to take a boat to Procida from Pozzuoli, have dinner there and return on an evening hydrofoil. Any ideas?
The splurge meal here might be Palazzo Petrucci.
I've mainly been looking into Naples right now, so for Rome we'd have to make a similar list. Only longer, as we have more time to spend over there. Tips on hidden gems are always welcome Links to good threads on the board would also help a lot.
Via Cesare Sersale, 1, Naples, Campania 80139, IT
Via dei Tribunali, 32, Naples, Campania , IT
Via Tribunali, 94, Naples, Campania , IT
Rampe San Giovanni Maggiore, 1a, Naples, Campania 80134, IT
Osteria Donna Teresa
Via Kerbaker 58, Naples, Campania 80129, IT
Starita a Mater Dei
Via Materdei, 27, Naples, Campania 80136, IT
Vico Giardinetto, 78, Naples, Campania 80132, IT