I grew up in Chestnut Hill (pre-Chowhound era), moved away nine years ago, and am now moving back (pretty much across the street from BC) after spending the last eight years in the New York area (West Village, Park Slope and the inner NJ suburbs at various times). My recollections of local food are pretty minimal: Oishii for sushi, Legals for seafood, and, well, Bertucci's. I'd love some tips on what's new, what's changed, what I never knew about in the first place, and generally some pointers on my new old food neighborhood.
- Pizza: I loves me some Bertucci's and am very happy to have that as a delivery option, but yeah, it's chain-restaurant pizza, which seems like a shame in Boston. Anything better nearby?
- French/Italian: I got nothin'. Anything low-key local places worth knowing about? Boston is close enough for special events, so I'm not looking for lights-out places, just something local and decent.
- Sushi: is Oishi still everything it used to be? Still an hour for a seat on a Tuesday evening? Are there less crazy alternatives if I don't want to wait that long?
- Other ethnic foods: Thai? Indian? Good (i.e. authentic, regional) Chinese? Good (non-greasy) bad (non-authentic, comes-in-a-carton) delivery Chinese? For Mexican, we stumbled on El Pelon yesterday and were very happy, so I think we're covered there unless there's anything else we should know about.
- Is there a farmer's market in the area? My recollection of Allendale Farm is more serviceable than extraordinary, but it'll do in a pinch.
- Bakery/patisserie: in all my time in New York, the only decent baguette I ever found was at the Fairway supermarket chain, and croissants were always a challenge. Anything worthwhile within an easy drive for a Sunday morning croissant?
- Bagels: OK, I'm not expecting Brooklyn, but anything better than the pillow-soft monstrosities that pass for bagels in most of the world these days?
Thanks for any suggestions, and apologies for the long, long list. Looking forward to being in the area again! Of course, I'll update with my own findings over time.
2197 Commonwealth Ave., Brighton, MA 02135
280 School St Ste G100, Mansfield, MA 02048
Updated 1 year ago | 48
Updated 2 months ago | 4
Updated 1 month ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 36